

FINANCE COMMITTEE
Minutes
Zoom Meeting ID 137-596-647

RECEIVED
TOWN CLERK
2020 MAY 29 AM 9:37
MILLBURY, MASS.

Date: April 13, 2020

Time: 6:30 p.m.

Present: O'Connell, Kuphal, Kupcinkas, Cooney, Noonan

Absent: Kennedy, Cofske

Meeting called to order at 6:35 p.m.

Jen O'Connell did a roll call to record attendance.

Don Desourcy, Rich Hamilton, Scott Despres, Justine Caggiano, Andrew Vanni and James Kelley joined the Zoom meeting.

Motioned by Kupcinkas, seconded by Cooney to open the Public Hearing at 6:35 p.m. O'Connell, yes; Kuphal, yes; Kupcinkas, yes; Cooney, yes; Noonan, yes

Jen O'Connell asked if anyone had questions on the FY2021 Budget. There were no questions.

Jen O'Connell: I thought we would have the Police Chief and Fire Chief discuss their upcoming projects during the Public Hearing. I would like to hold off voting on the Warrant and Budget until we are all together, rather than take a roll call on every vote.

Rich Hamilton: We are trying to get exact figures on the buildings. The design and development will cost \$315,000. The construction documents will cost \$350,000. Then we can go out to bid on figure to build the building. We may get up to 40% in Grant Funding.

Jen O'Connell: What is the full cost of the station without the grants?

Rich Hamilton: Some of the research has come up with about \$10Million and some at \$12-15Million. We are doing just what is necessary at this point. We would like to be able to house the ambulances and the trucks all inside the building.

Jen O'Connell: How many bays will the building have?

Rich Hamilton: It will have 5 bays, which would be 2 trucks deep.

Jen O'Connell: Will the location be raised and level with the street?

Rich Hamilton: We will have some grade so we do not risk flooding out the building. This lot is four times the size of what we currently have.

Albert Kupcinkas: Is the distance in the bays for 2 regular trucks?

Rich Hamilton: We could fit an engine behind the ladder truck.

Jen O'Connell: It would be good to know a figure on the cost for the building.

Rich Hamilton: We have estimates on dollars per square foot. We know the square footage. We are looking at 21,000 square feet.

Jen O'Connell: Do you plan on doing a presentation at Town Meeting?

Rich Hamilton: I will not do a lengthy one.

Jeff Raymond: What figure are you looking at?

Rich Hamilton: It depends on what we get for the grant. We will take what they give us.

Donald Desourcy: The process for the new Police Station is the same as the Fire Department. The design cost is \$230,000 and the construction and plans cost is \$320,000. This was provided by the architect. I have spoken to the Board of Selectmen on several occasions about this. It will be located in the Old Dorothy Manor School. The Townspeople asked us to use Town owned property, so that is why we looked at this location. Right now we have less than 4000 square feet in our building. The newer building will have 18,000 square feet. The dispatchers would be completely isolated. The cruisers would be garaged. There will also be a carport, which is already there. We want the cruisers to last. This would keep them out of the elements. We have been trying to build a Fire and Police Station for 12 years. They have to be shovel ready before they can go out to bid. We have issues with the detention area. Cell blocks need to have hot water and ventilation. The new station would have 5 cell blocks with the appropriate ventilation and hot water. The cost per square foot increases about 5% per year. I would like to have a facility that lasts 30 years.

Jen O'Connell: Will the current structure be torn down or used?

Donald Desourcy: The recommendation is that it would not be prudent to use the current building. We would need to take it down. We need to be a Level 4 building. It is not cost effective to keep the old building. The main entrance to the building would be from the Millbury Avenue side. Employees would use the Hayward Glen side.

Kevin Kuphal: There is no article written on this?

James Kelley: No, there is not. Because of our limit on our BAN with the School Project, we would have to wait a year. We need to borrow on a BAN to get the Fire Station shovel ready. We would need to pay down some of the School Project first. We are looking at January at the earliest. We would likely be eligible at the Fall Town Meeting. We will need a Fall Town Meeting once this COVID is over.

Jen O'Connell: Are most Towns pushing out their Town Meetings?

James Kelley: they are, but trying to get it done by the end of June. They do not want to work with a 1/12 budget.

Donald Desourcy: I did propose articles to the Town Manager, but they did not make the Warrant, for reasons explained by the Town Manager.

Jen O'Connell: How much per square foot were they charging 3 years ago?

Donald Desourcy: They were charging \$300. Now it is \$500-\$550 per square foot.

Rich Hamilton: We do our best to scrutinize all the costs.

Donald Desourcy: You never know what the contractors are going to bid. It depends on the economy at that time. We hope to get a reasonable cost.

Motioned by O'Connell, seconded by Kupcinkas to close the public hearing at 7:17 p.m. Kupcinkas, yes; Kuphal, yes; Noonan, yes; O'Connell, yes; Cooney, yes

Jen O'Connell: We will we get back into the Town Hall, so we can meet face to face?

James Kelley: Originally we wanted to get back on the 21st. I am waiting to hear. It would be essential personnel first, then non-essential. It would be up to you as to when you want to sit face to face. I would say at least another week.

Jen O'Connell: When will Town Meeting be?

James Kelley: We cannot use the School during the 1st week of June. I would say either the 3rd or 4th Tuesday in June.

Jen O'Connell: this means we will have time in May to vote on everything. I hope to be back in the Town Hall by May.

James Kelley: If anyone from the Committee has questions, have them go through the Chair and I will try to get answers for you.

Jen O'Connell: If anyone has questions, get them to me and I will get them to Jamie so he only has to answer one time. I think we should wait to vote until we get together. How does everyone feel about the voting the Budget and Warrant? Do you want to do it in person, or during one of these meetings?

Everyone agreed that we should wait to vote until we are able to get back into the Town Hall and have a face to face meeting.

Motioned by Kupcinkas, seconded by Kuphal to adjourn at 7:30 p.m. Kupcinkas, yes; Kuphal, yes; Cooney, yes; Noonan, yes; O'Connell, yes.

Jen O'Connell

Albert P. Kupcinkas

Mr. C. M.

Nicol L. Cooney

Stephen Noon

[Signature]

[Signature]