

FINANCE COMMITTEE
Minutes
Zoom Meeting 913 2342 6066

RECEIVED
TOWN CLERK
2021 APR 21 AM 8:26
MILBURY, MASS

Date: April 5, 2021

Time: 6:30 p.m.

Present: Kuphal, Wells, Cooper, Gillmore, O'Connell, Cooney, Kupcinskis

Absent: None

Meeting called to order at 6:34 p.m.

Jayne Davolio, Town Clerk, Sean Hendrick, Town Manager and Justine Caggiano, Human Resources, were present at the meeting

Jennifer O'Connell: The purpose of this meeting is to run through the proforma to see if there are any issues that we think may come up at the Public Hearing next week. The Selectmen are closing and approving the Warrant tomorrow night. We can vote the proforma next week after the Public Hearing.

Sean Hendricks: I think there are 18 Warrant Articles.

Justine Caggiano: There are 21, which include 2 road acceptance articles.

Charles Cooper: What is the plan for the Public Hearing? Are we in-person or on zoom?

Sean Hendricks: You can hold the meeting at the Town Hall, but the public would have to be on zoom.

Jennifer O'Connell: The meeting would go faster in person. My thought is that we could vote the proforma next week and then do the Warrant on the 20th.

Kevin Kuphal: I will be traveling that week.

Sean Hendrick: You need to vote the Warrant before the 20th to make the publishing date.

Jayne Davolio: Once the Selectmen close the Warrant, you could vote on the draft. If there are any changes that need to be made, you could hold a special meeting.

Jennifer O'Connell: We will try to get all of it voted on the 12th and try to have everyone in to answer any questions that we have.

Jennifer O'Connell: I like the revenue sheets. I don't think we have ever gotten that before.

Sean Hendricks went over the proforma and explained the local receipts and Free Cash expenditures.

Sean Hendricks: I don't have the current Sewer Department numbers, yet. They are self-funding, so that does not affect the Town budget. Debt Service is increasing by \$1 Million.

Jennifer O'Connell: What are your thoughts on the amount in the Reserve Fund?

Sean Hendricks: I think it is a sufficient amount. We have the Stabilization Account if we need it. We would have to go to Town Meeting to get the approval. It would have to be a large amount needed, which should get Town Meeting approval. I think it is a good amount. There is no historical basis to raise the amount.

Sean Hendricks: Our new Finance Director is coming in at \$105,000.

Jennifer O'Connell: Was there a payout when Andrew left?

Sean Hendricks: This was all paid by the end of December. We had to use a consultant when he left. I will be turning back some money in this budget.

Jennifer O'Connell: The Board of Assessors budget is up.

Sean Hendricks: There are new statutory requirements for the Board of Assessors.

Sean Hendricks: We need to be more proactive on getting the word out about our on-line services. We need to find a way to publicize this. We are letting people come in on an appointment basis right now. Once we start re-opening, we would like people to continue with some of our on-line services.

Jennifer O'Connell: Can you live with the number in the Town Counsel Budget?

Sean Hendricks: I am looking into this budget. I would like to recommend to the Board of Selectmen that we change the contract dates from the fiscal year to the calendar year. I would like to get us to January with this contract and with an RFP in the fall have the contract run from January to December without a retainer. This amount should be good for this year.

Russell Wells: Can any department call Town Counsel, or do they have to go through you?

Sean Hendricks: They have to come to me first. Boards and Committees have to get the approval of the Board of Selectmen.

Jennifer O'Connell: Are the cruisers back in the budget?

Sean Hendricks: Yes, they are. I took them out of the Capital Article, since they are recurring charges.

Scott Despres was present at the meeting

Charles Cooper: Is the School Department going to reduce their budget for the SRO?

Jennifer O'Connell: I would recommend to them to reduce the amount at this time.

Jennifer O'Connell: Are you thinking of increasing the staff in the Building Department?

Sean Hendricks: We have moments when that department seems to be overwhelmed. I am looking into whether we need another person or not. I don't feel the need for 2 full time people in that department. I think we are okay right now.

Jennifer O'Connell: I hesitate adding staff unless there is a valid reason for it.

Sean Hendricks: I sent the School Department my reduction to their budget and have not heard anything from the School Committee.

Jennifer O'Connell: I can reach out to them.

Sean Hendricks: I will get in touch with Keith at the DPW to see what his plan is for vehicles in the future. (whether they will continue to lease or purchase)

Jennifer O'Connell: How is the Snow and Ice Account?

Sean Hendricks: I think we will end up under budget. I haven't received the March figures yet, but I feel we will be under budget.

George Gillmore: Will the amount for OPEB be the same every year?

Sean Hendricks: This amount will be dependent on the Free Cash number. I bumped it up this year because we had it. The Cannabis revenue also goes towards this.

Jennifer O'Connell: Another sheet that we will need for Monday night is the paragraph at the end of the budget explaining where the money is coming from.

Jennifer O'Connell: When does the new Finance Director start?

Sean Hendricks: On the 22nd of April.

Jennifer O'Connell: I would like to see a debt sheet. We used to get one from Katie every year.

Motioned by Wells, seconded by Gillmore to adjourn at 8:05 p.m. Wells, yes; Gillmore, yes; Cooney, yes; Cooper, yes; Kuphal, yes; O'Connell, yes; Kupcinskaskas, yes.

Albert P. Kupcinskaskas
Chuck R. Cooper
Samuel Wells
Nicol L. Cooney
Jennifer O'Connell